|View printer-friendly version|
Marchex Announces Local Content Partnerships with Several Leading Providers Including Yelp and Avvo
SEATTLE, WA - April 22, 2008
Marchex, Inc. (NASDAQ: MCHX, MCHXP), a local online advertising company and leading publisher of local content, today announced local content partnerships with several of the Internet's most respected providers, including Yelp and Avvo among others.
Under the separate agreements announced today, Marchex will add more than 5 million reviews and ratings to its local network, bringing the total number of reviews and ratings covering local businesses across the United States to more than 8 million.
The content will be integrated into Marchex's local network, which attracts more than 26 million unique monthly users¹ and features more than 150,000 local Web sites, including the hub of the network, OpenList.com. These new agreements will further Marchex's ongoing effort to provide consumers with the most relevant content and information to help them discover and make better informed local decisions.
Marchex is adding content to its local network from the following partners:
- Yelp.com: A site where people read and write reviews of their favorite neighborhood businesses. Yelp will be providing more than 2.5 million reviews that Yelpers have written about everything from restaurants and spas to dentists and mechanics. The site had more than 9 million unique visitors in the month of March.
- Avvo.com: This leading attorney rating service, which profiles hundreds of thousands of attorneys using information from state courts and bar associations, Web sites and the lawyers themselves in addition to reviews from users, is providing its Avvo Rating and user-generated reviews for thousands of attorneys across the United States.
- HealthGrades.com: Under expansion of an existing relationship, the leading health ratings organization is providing detailed listings for more than 750,000 physicians and will be adding more than 5,000 hospitals nationwide.
- lilaguide.com: This resource site for local parents will provide more than 150,000 user-generated reviews and recommendations for parents on local shopping, baby gear, activities, restaurants, daycare and other parenting resources.
- Restaurant.com: This online dining resource is providing reviews, restaurant photos, wine lists, links to menus and discounted gift certificate offers from thousands of restaurants across the United States. Restaurant.com customers have saved more than $50 million through their gift certificate program.
- Gusto.com and Urbanspoon.com: These leading restaurant and travel sites are collectively providing tens of thousands of customer reviews of restaurants in select markets across the United States.
"These partnerships are a win for all companies involved; the rich local content adds to the scale and quality of Marchex's local network and further enhances our position as a leading local information resource for consumers," said Pete Christothoulou, Marchex Chief Strategy Officer. "In turn, Marchex's local network expands our partners' reach and awareness with local consumers and delivers targeted traffic deep into their Web sites."
About Marchex, Inc.
Marchex (www.marchex.com) is a local online advertising company and leading publisher of local content. Marchex's innovative advertising platform delivers search- and call-based marketing products and services for local and national advertisers. Marchex's local content network, one of the largest online, helps consumers make better, more informed local decisions through its network of content-rich Web sites that reach tens of millions of unique visitors each month.
Forward Looking Statements:
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve substantial risks and uncertainties. All statements, other than statements of historical facts, included in this press release regarding our strategy, future operations, future financial position, future revenues, acquisitions, projected costs, prospects, plans and objectives of management are forward-looking statements. We may not actually achieve the plans, intentions or expectations disclosed in our forward-looking statements and you should not place undue reliance on our forward-looking statements. Actual results or events could differ materially from the plans, intentions and expectations disclosed in the forward-looking statements we make. There are a number of important factors that could cause Marchex's actual results to differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements which are described in the "Risk Factors" section of our most recent periodic report and registration statement filed with the SEC.
For further information, contact:
Marchex Investor Relations:
Nyhus Communications for Marchex
¹Unique visitor statistics are based on internal traffic logs, which calculate unique IP (Internet protocol) addresses on an unduplicated basis during a given month.