|View printer-friendly version|
Marchex Expands Openlist.com, Empowering Consumers Nationwide to Make Better Local Decisions; Announces Local Content and Service Partnerships
SEATTLE, WA - September 27, 2007
Marchex, Inc. (NASDAQ: MCHX, MCHXP), a local online advertising company and leading publisher of local content, today announced that it has launched an expanded version of its Open List local guide (www.openlist.com), empowering consumers throughout the United States to make better, more efficient local decisions. Unlike traditional search engines, Open List's revolutionary local search refinement system makes it easy for consumers to immediately narrow their localized searches based on a wide range of personally relevant, specific criteria across more than 15 million business listings in more than 20,000 categories.
For example, an Open List user who lives in New York City can easily refine their search to find a podiatrist on the Upper East Side who specializes in sports medicine. In addition, Open List covers virtually all cities and towns in the United States, making it just as easy for consumers to find the right plumber in Poughkeepsie, NY as it is to find a great Italian restaurant in San Francisco's North Beach neighborhood, along with millions of other possibilities.
To further improve the consumer experience, Marchex today also announced partnerships with several leading companies to provide additional content, reviews and services to Open List and Marchex's network of local Web sites, including OpenTable, Contractors.com, HealthGrades, Inc., and Judy's Book.
"Our goal with Open List and our network of local Web sites is to enable consumers to make better, more efficient local decisions, whether they live in a major metropolitan area or a small town," said Bill Day, Marchex Chief Media Officer. "The combination of Open List's revolutionary refinement system, comprehensive geographic coverage and deep local content delivers on this goal. Our focus now is to build on this momentum and further expand our position as one of the Internet's leading local content networks."
In addition to serving as a stand-alone local guide, Open List serves as a hub for Marchex's network of local Web sites, which now number more than 150,000. Open List centralizes the targeting, unique features and content previously deployed on Marchex's local Web sites, including:
- Comprehensive listings and categories. Open List now features more than 15 million business, product, and service listings in more than 20,000 categories, up from 1 million listings in three categories.
- Geo-targeting based on the location of the user. Open List determines the geographic location based on the user's IP address and delivers geo-targeted business listings associated with that location.
- Aggregated reviews. Open List includes millions of relevant reviews, compiled from user-generated feedback on Marchex's local Web sites and dozens of trusted sources on the Web.
- User ratings and review capabilities. Open List now features the popular one-click rating system called "I Like It" that has been successfully deployed on Marchex's local Web sites.
In addition, Open List and Marchex's network of local Web sites now also feature local content and services from a variety of leading content partners, including:
- OpenTable (www.opentable.com): Openlist.com users, as well as users of such local Marchex Web sites as www.seattlefinedining.com can now make reservations at any of more than 7,000 restaurants across the U.S., using the OpenTable reservation service.
- Contractors.com (www.contractors.com): Users of Open List and such Marchex Web sites as www.remodeling.com can now access hundreds of thousands of reviews of home improvement service providers from the most comprehensive directory of residential contractors.
- HealthGrades, Inc. (www.healthgrades.com): The leading health ratings organization provides users of Open List and other local Marchex Web sites such as www.newyorkdoctors.com with detailed patient experience surveys of doctors across the U.S.
- Judy's Book (www.judysbook.com): Open List and Marchex local Web site users have access to hundreds of thousands of market- and category-specific reviews from Judy's Book, an online shopping community.
Organic Traffic to Open List-Powered Local Web Sites Increases by More Than 20%*; Marchex Local Web Sites Grow to More Than 150,000
Since the launch of the initial 100,000 Open List-powered Web sites at the end of June 2007, the average number of monthly organic unique visitors to those Web sites has increased by 20% over the average for the three months preceding the Open List integration. Open List-powered local Web sites are now the fastest growing segment within Marchex's overall network.
Building on this growth, Marchex has also added Open List content and technology to 50,000 additional Web sites, bringing the total number of local Web sites in its network to more than 150,000. As a result, local Web sites now make up the significant majority of Marchex's network of owned and operated Web sites.
"The significant increase in traffic to our local Web sites is further validation of our content strategy and with the expanded Open List and more than 150,000 local Web sites, we are ideally positioned for continued growth," said Day.
The 50,000 newly added Web sites further extend the geographic coverage of Marchex's local network and include cities ranging from Dallas, TX to Topeka, KS, with Web sites such as www.dallascars.com, www.indianapolisautorepair.com and www.topekadining.com.
* Unique visitor statistics are based on internal traffic logs, which calculate unique IP (Internet protocol) addresses on an unduplicated basis during a given month.
About Marchex, Inc.
Marchex (www.marchex.com) is a local online advertising company and leading publisher of local content. Marchex's innovative advertising platform delivers search marketing products and services for local and national advertisers. Marchex's local content network, one of the largest online, helps consumers make better, more informed local decisions through its network of content-rich Web sites that reach tens of millions of unique visitors each month.
Forward looking statements:
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve substantial risks and uncertainties. All statements, other than statements of historical facts, included in this press release regarding our strategy, future operations, future financial position, future revenues, projected costs, prospects, plans and objectives of management are forward-looking statements. We may not actually achieve the plans, intentions or expectations disclosed in our forward-looking statements and you should not place undue reliance on our forward-looking statements. Actual results or events could differ materially from the plans, intentions and expectations disclosed in the forward-looking statements we make. There are a number of important factors that could cause Marchex's actual results to differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements which are described in the "Risk Factors" section of our most recent periodic report and registration statement filed with the SEC.
For further information, contact:
Marchex Investor Relations:
Nyhus Communications for Marchex