|View printer-friendly version|
Marchex Launches More Than 100,000 Local Web Sites, Providing More Than One Billion Pages of Local Content, Features and Functionality
SEATTLE, WA - June 27, 2007
In the largest-scale Web site launch of its kind, Marchex, Inc. (NASDAQ: MCHX, MCHXP) today announced that it has launched more than 100,000 of its local and vertical Web sites, publishing more than one billion Web pages of content, features and functionality for consumers looking for local services and information online, along with highly targeted local advertising inventory.
The newly launched sites now feature more than 15 million business listings across all major yellow pages categories, a deep refinement system, user-generated reviews and ratings, and third-party expert reviews aggregated by Marchex's Open List local content publishing engine. The sites in today's launch include tens of thousands of vertical, local and local-vertical Web sites, such as www.cuisine.com, www.locksmiths.com, and www.remodeling.com; www.bayareahotels.com, www.newyorkdoctors.com, and www.denverautorepair.com; and Marchex's ZIP Code Web sites, which cover 96% of all ZIP Code areas nationwide, such as www.90210.com. A more comprehensive listing of additional Web site examples is listed at the end of this press release.
"With today's launch of more than 100,000 locally focused, content-rich Web sites, Marchex has taken a meaningful step forward in executing on our vision of owning and operating one of the Internet's largest and most robust local networks. In addition, this launch significantly expands Marchex's ability to offer unique and compelling targeted local inventory to our tens of thousands of advertisers," said Russell C. Horowitz, Marchex Chairman and CEO. "We believe that as we continue to extend Open List's content and functionality across our Web sites, they will increasingly become rich sources of useful, local content, benefiting consumers and, over time, will drive an increased amount of traffic for our network."
"Marchex now effectively has one of the Internet's largest local networks," said Greg Sterling, principal of Sterling Market Intelligence. "Using its Open List technology and tools, the company has transformed basic landing pages with advertising into thousands of functional and content-rich sites."
The features and functionality of the Web sites include:
- Comprehensive, nationwide coverage. Information about more than 15 million business, product and service listings across more than 20,000 categories.
- Deep refinement. Consumers can easily drill down on their local searches based on a wide range of criteria. For example, a user of www.bayareahotels.com can make lodging decisions on the site based on neighborhood, ambiance, ratings, and numerous other refinement criteria.
- Aggregated reviews. The Marchex local Web sites offer millions of relevant reviews, organized from user-generated feedback on the Web sites themselves and dozens of trusted sources on the Web.
- User ratings and review capabilities. In addition to enabling traditional user- generated reviews about millions of local businesses, the Marchex sites feature a new one-click rating system called "I Like It" that makes it easy for consumers to rate businesses, products and services, quickly determine how others have rated them, and sort businesses based on rating.
- Open View. In selected categories such as hotels and restaurants, Marchex's sites make it easy for consumers to get concise summaries of all relevant reviews and rankings via Marchex's Open View technology. A dynamically generated summary about local businesses, Open View is an easy-to-read paragraph that includes at-a- glance information on ratings, features, locations, and more.
- Intuitive site navigation. New site designs make it easy for users to quickly discover the information they need to make better decisions about local businesses and services.
- Regular data and content updates. Marchex will regularly update the data and content on all of its sites, in parallel with continuous and ongoing site development and improvement.
Since Marchex acquired Open List in May 2006, the categories covered by its content publishing engine have been expanded from the initial three categories of hotels, restaurants and attractions to feature enhanced and detailed information on more than 15 million businesses in more than 20,000 categories. The additional categories include such areas as auto (e.g., auto rental, auto repair), employment services, professional services (e.g., contractors, doctors, insurance, lawyers), and personal services (e.g., baby sitters, beauty salons, spas).
In the coming months, Marchex plans to deepen and expand the Open List content integrations across more of its vertical and local Web sites. Additionally, Marchex plans to launch an expanded version of Open List (www.openlist.com) by September 30, 2007, as a standalone consumer destination that will contain a superset of the local information and functionality found on the Web sites.
In aggregate, Marchex's Web sites attracted approximately 31 million unique visitors for the month of March 2007. Unique visitor statistics are based on internal traffic logs, which calculate unique IP (Internet protocol) addresses on an unduplicated basis during a given month. Advertisers can sign up to advertise on a pay-per-click basis across all of Marchex's 200,000 sites, including the Web sites launched today, at http://www.industrybrains.com/signupgroup/Auctions.aspx?t=1.
Web Site Samples:
Samples of the more than 100,000 local Web sites launched today include:
www.90210.com (Beverly Hills)
www.10003.com (New York)
www.10013.com (New York)
www.94102.com (San Francisco)
www.94123.com (San Francisco)
About Marchex, Inc.
Marchex (www.marchex.com) is a technology driven search and media company focused on vertical and local online traffic. Specifically, the company is focused on search marketing, local search, and direct navigation. Marchex's platform of integrated performance-based advertising and search marketing services enables merchants to efficiently market and sell their products and services across multiple online distribution channels, including search engines, product shopping engines, directories and selected Web sites.
Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve substantial risks and uncertainties. All statements, other than statements of historical facts, included in this press release regarding our strategy, future operations, future financial position, future revenues, certain statements and expectations regarding the asset acquisition, projected costs, prospects, plans and objectives of management are forward-looking statements. We may not actually achieve the plans, intentions or expectations disclosed in our forward- looking statements and you should not place undue reliance on our forward- looking statements. Actual results or events could differ materially from the plans, intentions and expectations disclosed in the forward-looking statements we make. There are a number of important factors that could cause Marchex's actual results to differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements which are described in the "Risk Factors" section of our most recent periodic report and registration statement filed with the SEC. We disclaim any intention or obligation to update any forward-looking statements.
For further information, contact:
Marchex Investor Relations:
Nyhus Communications for Marchex